Playing with Space

Screen Shot 2015-10-01 at 1.22.23 PM

IMG_7698

Screen Shot 2015-10-01 at 1.25.33 PM

Screen Shot 2015-10-01 at 1.28.16 PM

For more Poetry Friday visit Heidi at My Juicy Little Universe!

• Liz Steinglass says:

Thanks, Michelle! They’ve all been rejected by one or more journals but I still love them and wanted to share them.

1. cbhanek says:

What an amazing array of compelling words and visuals. Thank you soooooooo much for sharing. I love playing with space! Tried doing something with the visual space/font/point size to express dying within a haiku last night. Think my “no-frills” platform doesn’t accommodate–or maybe, new to this, I just don’t know how to manipulate.So enjoyed your talents! I love how crisp and clean your site is; makes a visually pleasant and strikingly vibrant backdrop/palette for you words and photos Thanks again. God bless you!

• Liz Steinglass says:

Thanks so much for stopping by and for your kind words. I wrote and played with these in Word, then took a screen shot, and pasted the photos here. It’s a trick I learned from a Poetry Friday friend. I find it really challenging to play with space on WordPress.

• cbhanek says:

Thanks so much for passing along your trick! (Unlike you, I’m not sure I can make it work..) My fascination with form and space comes, in part, from having spent a number of years in marketing. Although I was the one doing the copywriting, I know I drove the art dept. crazy with my insistence that they give me “playground space/shapes”within which to write (They wanted the words first before doing any layout concepts.) In the end, we collaborated. I always told them that the impact of their “look” was in many ways much more important–at least initially– than were the meanings of any or all of my words. What a joy to see how you play with both space and words. “Visual noise” is something I find off-putting and intrusive. What a gift to be able to do what you do so beautifully! Thank you so very much for dignifying my comment and for taking time to share your response. God bless you!

2. JoAnn Early Macken says:

I love the suspense of the dewdrop poem. Is the second one intended to be read from the bottom up? What fun! I’m sorry to hear they’ve been rejected & glad you decided to share them here.

3. Tabatha says:

Thanks for sharing these, Liz! I think my particular favorite was the second one — it gave me a real sense of story, even within so few words.