The First Day of Summer

photo-167

Tomorrow is a blank piece of paper
For me to color
However I want.
After a long sleep,
And a long stretch,
And a long, long daydream,
I can draw whatever I want.
I can use whatever color I choose.
Maybe I’ll make the sky pink and the trees blue
Just because I want to.
I’ll take my time drawing sun and sky and earth and me in the middle.
I might take all day to draw my world.
And no one will be there to tell me time is running out
Because tomorrow is a blank piece of paper
Just for me.

For more Poetry Friday visit Tabatha Yeatts at The Opposite of Indifference.

(c) Elizabeth Steinglass, 2013, all rights reserved

1. Janet F. says:

I love thinking of summer that way. I think that is exactly how I felt as a child. What a wonderful way to start the day, reading your poem that is. And being able to choose how to spend my time in summer: freedom!!!

2. irene Latham says:

Wonderful, Liz! Here’s to that blank sheet of paper and filling it up with wonderful things… or maybe leaving a few white spaces too. xo

3. Carol says:

Love this! I’m a teacher on my first day of summer vacation, trying to decide what picture I want to draw this summer!

4. lsteinglass says:

I’m glad you liked the use of long. Sometimes repetition is just the right thing. And sometimes you need a regular word and not a fancy one.
    I hope you found your piece of paper!

• lsteinglass says:

Thanks, Ruth.
      It’s such a great thing to wake up to a day on which you get to decide everything!

5. Mary Lee says:

Perfect! I call summer “The Long Weekend,” but I like this blank piece of paper, too! It feels SOOOooo good to be free of restrictions!

• lsteinglass says:

Sad but true. At the beginning it seems like the summer will be long and luxurious but it’s over way too fast–like a long weekend.

6. Tabatha says:

Ready for that myself!! Who knows what we will make with a little time to be creatively adventurous?

7. Robyn Hood Black says:

Playing a wee bit of catch-up; this month/start to summer has been so busy already! I hope you greet each day of your summer with creative abandon. Enjoyed that robin’s egg post, too – I have a couple of shells on a windowsill from earlier this spring, and the last baby from the later batch out back just left the nest yesterday. (I remember being graced with a robin’s nest on the front porch beam of my cabin at the Highlights poetry workshop where we met!)