March Madness

Madness2013BlackBlue200x150

Ed DeCaria at Think Kid, Think! has once again organized a crazy poetry tournament. Competitors have 36 hours to write kids’ poems using ridiculous words given to them by Ed. Outcomes are determined by those who visit the website and vote. Winners advance to the next round (like the March Madness basketball tournament). The whole tournament takes a few weeks.

My first-round word was hubris. (My opponent’s word was chisel.) I wrote two poems. You can find the first at the tournament website.

Here is the second:

The Girl in the Hole

There once was a girl with great hubris,
Who exclaimed without shame, “I can do this!”
When she came to a hole,
She leaped (like a mole)
And found that she’d been quite amiss.

(c) Elizabeth Steinglass, 2013

When you have a free moment, visit the tournament, read some great poetry, and vote!

For more Poetry Friday, visit Check It Out.

1. Robyn Hood Black says:

Fun image! I think you made the right call, though, about which poem to send over to MM. Love the voice and thoughtfulness of the Salk one…! Thanks for sharing both.

2. Julie Hedlund says:

Cute! But I agree with Robyn that you chose the right one for the tournament. It’s been fun reading some of the poems left on the cutting room floor though.

• lsteinglass says:

Interestingly, all the boys/men in my life preferred the limerick, while all the girls/women, including myself, preferred the Jonas Salk poem.

3. Laura Shovan says:

Hi, Liz. I’m glad I’m not the only one who wrote multiple poems and blogged the abandoned ones! Thanks for sharing your extra hubris poem. I agree — you chose the right one for MMP.

4. Heidi says:

I’m proud of you for going against the diddly dee grain of the competition with your Jonas Salk poem–and you won! Although I gotta say I liked what your opponent did with chisel a lot, too. Congratulations.

5. gloson says:

Is it hubris to say that I’m a 15-year-old male and I prefer the Salk poem?
    It can impact you strongly, which can benefit the minds of 20,000 every year.
    It can isolate thoughts of impossibilities, crush ’em, and throw ’em out the window
    To purge low-self esteem from the earth.
    Was it hubris?
    Or was it a really inspiring poem?

p.s. May I know which poem you wrote first? Just curious 🙂

• lsteinglass says:

Gloson,
      Thanks for your words of appreciation and for pointing out that boys can, of course, like serious poems.
      I wrote the Salk first. I think I felt some pressure to write a light, funny poem.
      In the second round I submitted a funny one but maybe I should have gone with something more serious?
      All the best,
      Liz

• Gloson Teh says:

You’re most welcome! Or maybe those boys like to see girls falling into holes like moles. Haha. =P

Ahh, I see. To me, the poem you wrote in Round 2 was 70% serious, 30% funny. Hitting snooze buttons is serious business! Good job! All the best! =)

Subscribed to this blog and am looking forward to reading future poems!

p.s. Please delete the extra comment I made. I thought my comment didn’t go through and retyped it. Thanks!